In 1909 there was concern over the safety of the wooden bridge and discussions were held over replacing the bridge. Munno Para West and Port Gawler Council had shared the costs of repairing the bridge in years gone by. After inspection it was decided that the old structure should be replaced by a new one, to be of stone and cement foundation, with abutment and pillars raised so that a steel girder may rest upon them. The work was supervised by Port Gawler Council.
The bridge was most probably named for John Tippett, a local land owner. John came to South Australia with his parents on the ship Thetus in 1854. Born in St Just, Cornwall the family went direct to the copper mines of Burra. They moved to the Little Para, near Salisbury and farmed here until 1874, when they returned to Moonta. He joined a survey party and worked from Flinders Range, surveying Quorn, Orroroo, Peterborough. He drove a coach between Robe and Beachport for a few years. He married Margaret Paddon in 1880 and resided at Robe and Kingston. After the death of his wife he returned to Moonta in 1885 with his two young daughters. He married Jessie Squire in 1895 and had two sons and two daughters. He passed away in August 1935.John served as Councillor for the District Council of Munno Para East 1870 (1 year) and was curator of Little Para Wesleyan Chapel, Blacktop Road, Hillbank.