Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Pin Playford Project

Pin Playford Project

We wear badges to show support or belonging to an organisation or cause, to commemorate a special event, as a sign of identification or even a symbol of authority. We buy them as souvenirs, or as a charity fundraiser. They become a snapshot of time for any community. 

The City of Playford Local History team is looking to start its own badge collection. Badges are just one way to document and learn about a community’s history. 

If you are willing to donate a badge that has a connection to the City of Playford, we would love to hear from you.

Please contact the Local History Officer on 8256 0382, or drop it into the Elizabeth Civic Library.


 

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Hillbank homestead

Scammell's Homestead" c.1890 – mesmerizing sandstone return verandah estate of sprawling proportions, sited on 1,880sqm (approx.) This is how the real estate agent has described the homestead which is currently up for sale. It is known as the Scammell homestead such named as it was owned by the family for 30 years. The Scammell family is of course well known for managing F.H Faulding & Co.

Alice E. Scammell purchased the property in 1931. Alice Elizabeth Scammell nee Fuller married Robert Gray Scammell. Robert was the son of Luther Robert Scammell, the managing director of F.H Faulding & Co (Chemists) since 1889 until his death in 1940. Robert was also a managing director of Faulding’s with his brother.

The 300 acre property was called “Hillbank”, where sheep and peas were grown. The land was subdivided and laid out as Hillbank by the Scammell family in 1961.

Previous to this, George Sheerlock of Hindmarsh received the original land grant in 1848. In 1867 it was sold to EA Wright an Adelaide land agent. He sold it the following year to Thomas Williams who leased the property to William B. Wall and later John H Loftes of One Tree Hill, then James P. Martin of Gawler. In 1895 it was purchased by William H Johnson and G.L Johnson. In 1903 Lisle G. Johnson of Adelaide purchased it until 1907 when Sydney Charles Harrington purchased in. It remained with home until 1925 when Ernest James Hum of Adelaide purchased it. He only had it three years before William Snell of Salisbury purchased it in 1928.


You can view the house for sale here http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-hillbank-123977806

Monday, November 14, 2016

Miss Quests

The Lions Club of Elizabeth organised the Miss Elizabeth Quest as part of the Elizabeth Birthday celebrations.  They also added to the quest a section for Miss Charity, who raised money for local charities.  Miss Quests were all the rage in the 1960's, in addition there were Quests for Miss Industry, Miss Rugby, Miss Texas Instruments, Miss Elizabeth Princess.
Miss Industry Quest, Louise Appels 1965
Miss Texas Instruments, Ann Bain and Mrs K. Allen

Miss Elizabeth Princess, Ruth Watts
 
Miss Rugby, 1964, Julia Bourne
being crowned by Rev Howell Witt





Saturday, November 5, 2016

Charles Melvin King


Charles Melvin King, lost his life 100 years ago today.

 Named after his father, Charles Melvin was born on 15 July 1892. He was registered as “Charlie” in Virginia. His parents were Charles King and Alice Ann Menadue. His father was a teamster and built many roads in the area. Charlie was educated at the Virginia Public school.

Charles Melvin was 23 years old when he enlisted on 4 August 1915. Charles had spent one year in the Citizen Forces. 

Charles sailed on the Oriana arriving at Alexandria on 21 March 1916 and then onto Marseilles, France. He developed influenza and was transferred to no.6 Convalescent Depot. Upon recovery he joined the 1st ANZAC Entrenching Battalion. He remained fighting there until he was killed in action on 5th November 1916.

The Battalion formed in La Motte, France on 6 June 1916. Entrenching battalions were advanced sections of the base depots where drafts could become inured to war conditions. For a time, all infantry reinforcements were drawn from this unit. Heavy losses at Pozieres in July through September 1916 caused all the infantry to be absorbed by fighting units and the entrenching battalion ceased to be employed this way. It then absorbed surplus tunnelling reinforcements and served as a tunnelling company with the Canadians at St Eloi, The Bluff and The Ravine (near Ypres). The battalion was disbanded on 20 October 1917.

In August 1917 his mother wrote that she was disappointed to receive only a few old letters and his pay book when his effects were sent to her. She then wrote that her son’s father was still alive and that the medals, scroll and plaque were to be sent to him at the same address.

Charlie was awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. He is commemorated on the Villers Bretonneux Memorial.

The following year his parents and sister inserted a notice in the Chronicle newspaper.

This is the day, so sad to recall,
This is the day of remembrance to all;
Dear is the grave where our dear one is laid,
Sweet is the memory that will never fail.


His brother inserted;

He sleeps till the last roll call
Along with the brave.
Too dearly loved to be forgotten


His sister, H E Roberts inserted

From memory’s page time can’t blot
Three little words, forget me not.


Chronicle Saturday 10 November 1917 p 13

References

Photograph from the Australian War Memorial H06515

http://findingbarney.wordpress.com/pieces-of-the-puzzle/entrenching-battalion/