Once farming land, the dusty plains of Elizabeth needed vegetation as the City was grew. The South Australian Housing Trust nursery was situated on the corner of Judd Road and Philip Highway, Elizabeth in the early 1960's. Every new householder was given six trees from this nursery stock, hopefully to plant. Stock from here was used to plant the plantations and trees around the reserves in Elizabeth. It closed when the Trust no longer needed access to large quantities of trees and shrubs.
In the 1950's many cuttings were grown here from Sir Thomas Playford's own orchard in the Adelaide Hills and planted here in Elizabeth.