Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Lady Alice of Lady Alice mines

 
The Alice who gave her name to the Lady Alice gold mine at Humbug scrub is named after Alice Malcolm.  Alice Mary Roberts was born in 1846 in Guernsey, Channel Islands. In 1866 she married William Malcolm.  William lost his first wife after only a few short years of marriage.  A year later he married Alice, and in the 15 years they were married had nine children.

Alice died at the age of 38 after having nine children.  She died shortly after giving birth to twins. 

William Malcolm was born in Adelaide on 31 July 1841, the eldest son of Alexander and his wife Mary Kelly.  William resided at Gawler from 1865 until 1887 when he purchased a property at Lincolnfields, near Bute. 

He was for a time in partnership with Duffield and Co and was manager of the Victorian Mill.  In addition William was involved in gold mining and owned the Lady Alice Mine near Humbug Scrub.  Following the gold rush in Hissey’s Gully in 1870, a number of companies including Malcolm’s Gold Mining Co was formed.  The Lady Alice was the largest producer and by 1897 had produced approximately 5500 ounces of gold.  After sinking deep shafts, copper was discovered.  The company was forced in liquidation in 1875 due to lack of finance.
Alice was an active member of the Gawler Baptist Church.
Her obituary in the Bunyip states she was extremely generous in all cases deserving of relief and there are many who will miss her loving kindness to them.  Her general good nature and the energy with which she pushed forward any movement for the good of the community will take years to be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment