Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Elizabeth Returned Servicemen's League (RSL)

In order to form a RSL sub-branch, ten financial members must combine to apply to the State Board for a charter.  In 1956, Mr White spread the news that he was looking for nine other financial members.  In March 1956 the first meeting was held in his house. By the end of 1957 the branch had 100 members.

The first committee comprised;
R. Bond                             President
R. Trevethic       Vice-President
John White        Secretary
Frank Caves       Ass Secretary
W. Finch             Treasurer
R. Ottoway & R Braddick members

The Elizabeth Returned Servicemen’s League was formed on 27th May 1956, and they made their home in the small hall rented to them by the South Australian Housing Trust in the Elizabeth South Shopping Centre.  This was the first hall or meeting place built in Elizabeth by the SAHT and it was shared by many organisations from the RSL to church services.
In the early days of Elizabeth the RSL Dawn Service on Remembrance Day was held under the flag pole at the Elizabeth South School, where all the returned soldiers who had made their homes in Elizabeth were drawn together to remember their lost comrades.

As the town grew in size so did the RSL membership when a march was inaugurated through the town culminating in an open air service on Ridley Reserve.
The RSL members were very community minded and they saw the need to assist in the youth work of Elizabeth.  It was as a result of their efforts that the first team of marching girls was formed in Elizabeth.  The large parking area attached to the shopping centre was an ideal training ground.

Since those days, teams have been formed in every area of Elizabeth by various groups who have, each year, entered competitions for both state and national titles often winning medals which the girls proudly display on their uniforms.
Marching Girls’ Clubs are family orientated and families follow the teams to competitions and often make practice days into a family picnic whilst watching the girls being put through their paces.

The Elizabeth Sub-Branch RSL transferred to their own premises at the corner of Halsey Road and Midway Road, Elizabeth East, in July 1965, nine years after their formation.
Extensions opening on 17 February 1979.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Queen Elizabeth II visit to Elizabeth in 1977

To commemorate the visit of Queen Elizabeth II to the City of Elizabeth in 1977, a beautiful leather bound book was produced.  A calligrapher has inscribed the book and painted in great detail crest of Her Majesty and the City of Elizabeth. 
The album contains the Queens signature, signatures of the Queens household and Councillors who attended the luncheon. A selection of photographs have been included in the visit.
Designed and illuminated by E.M. Seymour, Aldgate.
Photographs by Pat Quigley.
The album forms part of the City of Playford Councils local history collection.

Mayor Eastland and Her Majesty at Windsor Green

Her Majesty and Mayor Eastland tour Windsor Green

Enthusiastic citizens gather to welcome Her Majesty

View of Municipal Offices from Windsor Green

Her Majesty accompanied by Mayor Eastland, commences the tour of Windsor Green.

Her Majesty and Mayor Eastland tour Windsor Green.

Her Majesty greets and acknowledges welcome of crowd.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Lady Alice of Lady Alice mines

The Alice who gave her name to the Lady Alice gold mine at Humbug scrub is named after Alice Malcolm.  Alice Mary Roberts was born in 1846 in Guernsey, Channel Islands. In 1866 she married William Malcolm.  William lost his first wife after only a few short years of marriage.  A year later he married Alice, and in the 15 years they were married had nine children.

Alice died at the age of 38 after having nine children.  She died shortly after giving birth to twins. 

William Malcolm was born in Adelaide on 31 July 1841, the eldest son of Alexander and his wife Mary Kelly.  William resided at Gawler from 1865 until 1887 when he purchased a property at Lincolnfields, near Bute. 

He was for a time in partnership with Duffield and Co and was manager of the Victorian Mill.  In addition William was involved in gold mining and owned the Lady Alice Mine near Humbug Scrub.  Following the gold rush in Hissey’s Gully in 1870, a number of companies including Malcolm’s Gold Mining Co was formed.  The Lady Alice was the largest producer and by 1897 had produced approximately 5500 ounces of gold.  After sinking deep shafts, copper was discovered.  The company was forced in liquidation in 1875 due to lack of finance.
Alice was an active member of the Gawler Baptist Church.
Her obituary in the Bunyip states she was extremely generous in all cases deserving of relief and there are many who will miss her loving kindness to them.  Her general good nature and the energy with which she pushed forward any movement for the good of the community will take years to be forgotten.