Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Elizabeth Football Club Debutante Ball, 1958

Debutante balls were all the rage 50 years ago.  Traditionally a Debutante is a young lady who has reached the age of maturity and, as a new adult, is introduced to society at a formal "debut" presentation.  They became charity events where tickets are sold to raise money. 

The Elizabeth Football Club organised Debutante balls, where young ladies were presented to Sir and Lady Lyell McEwin.  Money raised went to the club, who provided food and drink on the occasion.  An evening of dancing would follow the formal presentation.

Below is a copy of the certificate of Miss O'Shaughnessy who made her debut in 1958, aged only 16.  She can be seen far on the left in the photograph.


Monday, March 21, 2016

Elizabeth Vale street names

During the stages of planning the Lyell McEwin Hospital the Housing Trust sought advice and help in planning, organising and staffing from Matron Banwell, as Matron of Salisbury Hospital, and Mr John Joel who became the first Administrator of the Hospital, along with Drs John Rice and Frank Trembath, both of whom practised in Salisbury.  The Trust looked further afield to established hospitals and included Dr Wallace of the Whyalla Hospital on their panel of consultants.  Then they also approached the Matrons and Assistant Matrons together with some of the nursing sisters from Calvary Hospital, Royal Adelaide Hospital, St Andrew’s Hospital and Memorial Hospital, to give advice.

Streets in the Elizabeth Vale area are named in their honour.

Matron Banwell
People who advised on hospital design
Banwell Street Matron Lyell McEwin 1959 – 1973, 1975
Burley Road       Secretary, Private Hospitals Assoc 
Cameron Road  Matron, St Andrews hospital
Clarke Street      Assistant Matron, Memorial hospital,
Davidson Road              Administration, Memorial hospital
Durdin Road                  Tutor Sister, Royal Adelaide Hospital
Joel Crescent                  Administator Lyell McEwin Hospital
Justinian Street             Sister, Calvary Hospital
Kennedy Street              Assistant Matron, Royal Adelaide Hospital
Knowles Road                Matron, Memorial Hospital
Marcian Avenue             Sister Marcian, Calvary Hospital
Mark Road                     Mother Superior, Calvary Hospital
Rollison Road                Director General, Medical Services
Siddall Road                  Architect in Chief (SA Governemnt)
St Leonard crescent    Sister Leonard (Calvary Hospital), prefix St added later to overcome duplication in Elizabeth Park
Trembath Road             Dr Frank Trembath
Wallace Street              Dr Wallace (Whyalla Hospital )

Sir Lyell McEwin, Minister of Health, with Mr John Joel,
 first Administrator of the hospital.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Playford's Past Journal out now

 

Playford's Past History Journal

Volume 4 out now!

The Centenary of Anzac is an opportunity to acknowledge the service men and women involved in the First World War.  It is also an opportunity to look at those who supported the war and its efforts at home. 
No place was unaffected by war, the City of Playford was no exception.  At least 170 people enlisted in the Australian Infantry Forces from this area, from a population of 2500, with nineteen of them giving the supreme sacrifice.   The men were aged between 19 and 39, most in their early 20’s.   All but one was single.  Five men worked as labourers, three were farmers, but the list also included a butcher, cook, cabinetmaker and Police officer.  Four men became officers, three Lieutenants and one captain.
This is a special Anzac edition that looks at the local area and the nineteen men who perished. Copies are available from the Civic or Stretton branches for $10 each.
BAKER TC Richmond     
BLACKMAN Edward                     
BLENCOWE Alexander Howard 
COKER Allan Oswald                   
DAVIDSON Edgar Robert            
HATCHER Howard Sidney           
HATCHER Albert Mark                
HOOLE Harold                              
KELLY William Charles                
KING Charles Melvin                    
LAYCOCK Frederick Osmond      
McCLAREN Clarence Roy            
MOSS Alfred Hubert                    
RICHARDSON Albert James        
RIGGS Frank Leslie                       
SHEEDY James John                     
SHILLABEER  Albert                      
SHILLABEER Andrew                    
SMITHAM Charles Gordon         
STEVENS William Parr                 
TAMBLYN Charles David             
TIDMARSH Charles Edgar           
THOMPSON Leslie Howard        
WARD Arthur
   

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Hotel Elizabeth


Hotel Elizabeth was opened Thursday 22 August 1957, the first building to be erected in Elizabeth’s town centre. It was built as a cost of £500,000 by the SA Brewery Company.  The hotel was designed by the architectural department of the SA Brewing Company.
The hotel was built in the form of a cross with wings attached to the northern and eastern legs. The northern wing consisted of 16 public bedrooms.  The peacock and blue carpets in the bedrooms were especially made in England, the walls painted soft pastel colours.  A small guest lounge featured an open fireplace of Basket Range stone. A larger lounge could seat 200 people.  The floors of both lounges were covered by British made carpets of Menzies tartan pattern.  A small private dining room for 25 people was available and the main dining room could accommodate 65 people.  The private dining room was called the Edinburgh room and was decorated with pictures of inns and castles.  The main dining room was known as the Elizabeth room and displayed pictures of the royal family.  New to Australia just four years earlier was the drive through bottle shop, a feature of the Elizabeth hotel.

North of the saloon was a garden lounge which could hold 500 people. The gardens had 400 trees planted, rose bushes, shrubs and other small plants.   The eastern wing had bedrooms for staff.
Three murals in the hotel were painted by Polish artist Stanislaw Ostaja-Kotkowski.  The guest lounge near the main entrance contained a large bronze, copper and brass art piece.  The design depicted the growth of Salisbury Plains, the smaller pieces of metal pointing upright were the shrubs as they first grew on the plan and the larger pieces are the trees as they developed.  The large curved strips represented the industrial growth of the area.  The Edinburgh contained a giant wall  length aboriginal mural, carved of wood in various shapes.

You can watch this video of the hotel produced not long after its opening in the 1950's. 


Hotel built in conjunction with SA Housing Trust, the SA Brewing Company, and PMG
Builders:  C O Yuncken and O’Neill & Clayton
Joinery:  J Grove and SonsP
ainting & Decorators A. H Nicholls & son,
Plumbing: Les J Hill & Sons
Electrical contractors: W.J & V Bert
Grading and paving: JH Leverington
Interior Decoration & Colour design: Langdon Badger
The hotel was closed on 16 September 1983 and demolished to make way for the expansion of the Shopping Centre.  The hotel was situated where Target is now.  |
Publicans
Alan William WALL                       22 Aug 1957 – 27 Oct 1959
Harry Alder DUNN                        28 Aug 1959 – 28 Aug 1961
Archibald JAMIESON                    29 Aug 1961 – 18 Sept 1961
Harry Alder DUNN                        19 Sept 1961 – 8 Sept 1962
Archibald JAMIESON                    9 Sept 1962 – 30 Sept 1962
Harry Alder DUNN                        1 Oct 1962 – 28 Feb 1965
Jack Hammond BENZIE                1 March 1965 – 7 March 1965
Laurence William Henry COLLIER             8 March 1965 – 4 June 1970
Donald Bruce FARROW               5 June 1970 – 29 March 1971
Donald Gordon PLUSH                24 April 1971 – 10 Jan 1972
Jack Hammond BENZIE                27 Jan 1972 – 20 Feb 1972
Con ARGY                                    21 Feb 1972 – 16 Oct 1977
Albert Arnold MAYHAM                 17 Oct 1977 – 16 Sept 1983