Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sylvan Glade

Angle Vale rd, Angle Vale

The limestone house is believed to have been constructed in 1872, from stone sourced from the Gawler River. Extensions were built in 1994 also out of limestone.   The land on which the house stands was originally granted to Samuel White in 1852 (Section 3878, 4139, 4140). It was subsequently purchased by Benjamin Heaslip  a few weeks later on September 29th. 
Mr. Burford store owner, closed the business when he brought Mr. Benjamin Heaslip's farm on 30 April 1896 for £1050.5.8.  In 1914, Burford was recorded as owning Sections 3878 (63 acres), 4139 (80 acres) and part of 4140 (76 acres).

Rifle practice was carried out at the butts erected at the north end of the road running towards the river from Mr. Benjamin Heaslip’s house (later J Buford’s) an even to this day the road has retained the name of Butt road. 
Burford died on 19 March 1917 and in May 1924 the property was transferred to John Bastow Burford.  John owned the property until 29 March 1956, when it was sold to Leslie George Stevens and his wife Inez Beryl, a farmer.

The property became known as Sylvan Glade around 1964, so named by Inez Stevens.  The name means wooded or groves of trees in a serene place.  Her mother and husbands mother had middle names Sylvia and Gladys, which contributed to the reason for the name.
The Stevens family has long been associated with the district, five generations of the Stevens family has resided in the area.  Brothers BE and JC Stevens purchased property around the turn of the century.

The property is up for sale http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/house/sa/angle-vale/?adid=2010537474 

1852      Land granted to Samuel White1853      Purchased by Benjamin Heaslip1872      Constructed1896      Sold to Burford family1956      Sold by Burford’s to Leslie G Stevens 1964      Named Sylvan Glade
1994      Extensions to house

No comments:

Post a Comment