Most South Australian country towns had coursing clubs, they were easy to arrange and no infrastructure was required. Hares would be released, to be chased by greyhounds with men on foot or horseback following the dogs.
First cup run in South Australia was in 1884 at Buckland Park. It was organised by the SA Coursing Clun. It was for 24 dogs at £10 each and £2 2/ membership. The winner receiving £80 and a trophy and a portrait in oils, painted by H J Woodhouse. The runner up received £40, third, £20. The event was won by T Pritchard’s Lady by Tumbler out of Alice, a bitch bread by J Lindsay of Smithfield.
The cup ran at Buckland Park for seven years until there was a lack of interest and scarce numbers of hares. It then lapsed for two years and in 1893 ran again at Buckland Park. It continued until 1897 when there was another break for two years. Beginning again in 1900, continuing until 1905 when it moved to Hill River Estate at Clare. It has since moved to Burra, Angas Plains and Langhorne Creek.
In 1886 the winner of the South Australian Coursing Club’s principal greyhound race was awarded a trophy donated by the club’s president, Robert Barr Smith, a prominent Adelaide businessman and philanthropist. A keen sportsman, Barr Smith’s own dog was defeated in the 1886 Waterloo Cup.
On 29 July 2014 the Cup was offered to the market by Sotheby’s Australia with an estimate of $15,000-20,000.