In 1894, between 70 and 8O acres of land north of Virginia was subdivided into nine working men's blocks. The area was originally an Aboriginal reserve, and the Government of the day yielded to a request to cut it up in accordance with a sentiment which was then popular—that of providing small areas for working men upon which they could occupy their time when not in regular employment.
One of the original blockers was Mr. W. G. King, and he and his
family have, after much hard work, converted their
two blocks of 171 acres into a little Garden of Eden. The principal production is
now fruit. Oranges, lemons, peaches, pears, plums, apricots, nectarines, figs,
grapes, and almonds.
The blockers built houses, sunk bores, and being close to the railway allowed easy transport to the market. Each allotment was given a milk cow. As the blocks were small, some were able to purchase additional land. Others who were not so fortunate sought employment in certain sessions on adjoining farms.