Monday, September 22, 2014

Waterloo Cup

Greyhound racing was one of the biggest and most anticipated Australian sporting events.  The South Australian Coursing Club’s Waterloo Cup, named after the famous battle of Waterloo attracted spectators from across the country.

Most South Australian country towns had coursing clubs, they were easy to arrange and no infrastructure was required.  Hares would be released, to be chased by greyhounds with men on foot or horseback following the dogs.

First cup run in South Australia was in 1884 at Buckland Park. It was organised by the SA Coursing Clun.  It was for 24 dogs at £10 each and £2 2/ membership.  The winner receiving £80 and a trophy and a portrait in oils, painted by H J Woodhouse.  The runner up received £40, third, £20.   The event was won by T Pritchard’s Lady by Tumbler out of Alice, a bitch bread by J Lindsay of Smithfield.

The cup ran at Buckland Park for seven years until there was a lack of interest and scarce numbers of hares.  It then lapsed for two years and in 1893 ran again at Buckland Park.  It continued until 1897 when there was another break for two years.  Beginning again in 1900, continuing until 1905 when it moved to Hill River Estate at Clare. It has since moved to Burra, Angas Plains and Langhorne Creek.

In 1886 the winner of the South Australian Coursing Club’s principal greyhound race was awarded a trophy donated by the club’s president, Robert Barr Smith, a prominent Adelaide businessman and philanthropist. A keen sportsman, Barr Smith’s own dog was defeated in the 1886 Waterloo Cup.
On 29 July 2014 the Cup was offered to the market by Sotheby’s Australia with an estimate of $15,000-20,000.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Gardens of Eden at Virginia

In 1894, between 70 and 8O acres of land north of Virginia was subdivided into nine working men's blocks. The area was originally an Aboriginal reserve, and the Government of the day yielded to a request to cut it up in accordance with a sentiment which was then popular—that of providing small areas for working men upon which they could occupy their time when not in regular employment.
One of the original blockers was Mr. W. G. King, and he and his family have, after much hard work, converted their two blocks of 171 acres into a little Garden of Eden. The principal production is now fruit. Oranges, lemons, peaches, pears, plums, apricots, nectarines, figs, grapes, and almonds.

The blockers built houses, sunk bores, and being close to the railway allowed easy transport to the market. Each allotment was given a milk cow.  As the blocks were small, some were able to purchase additional land.  Others who were not so fortunate sought employment in certain sessions on adjoining farms.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Daniel Garlick; a prominent architect

Moses Bendle Garlick features prominently in the history of One Tree Hill as a wealthy land owner and benefactor.  His son Daniel received considerable fame in his own area of expertise, as a prolific and prominent architect during the early years of the colony of South Australia. His legacy can still be seen in many places around Adelaide. 

Daniel was born in 1818 at Uley, Gloucestershire, England, son of Moses Garlick, plasterer and weaver, and his wife Rachel, née Smith. After his wife died Moses decided to migrate to South Australia with his sons Daniel, Thomas and William. They sailed in the Katherine Stewart Forbes and arrived in the new colony on 17 October 1837.
Daniel and his father ran a business as builders and timber merchants in Kermode Street, North Adelaide, until the early 1850s when Daniel's health declined imposing a life change. His father bought some 450 acres at One Tree Hill, and with his three sons grew wheat, planted a vineyard and made wine.  After their father died about 1860, Thomas and William remained on the farm but Daniel began business as an architect in Gawler. His projects included designing villas, cottages, country houses, shops, churches and chapels for the town and the countryside.  About 1862 he married Lucy King, but after only nine years she died leaving three young sons.

Garlick designed many churches and banks in townships north of Adelaide and in 1864 was described as an architect and land and estate agent with offices in Adelaide. Among the buildings which he designed in and around Adelaide in the 1860s and 1870s are the original buildings of Prince Alfred College, St Barnabas College, part of the Collegiate School of St Peter where the original buildings had been designed by others, and the south wing of Adelaide Town Hall. In 1891 Daniel's son Arthur joined the firm.
Daniel was active in local affairs and became chairman of the district council of Munno Para East in 1855-60 and represented Robe ward in the Adelaide City Council in 1868-70.  His business affairs however took up too much time and he was obliged to step down from these roles to work in his practice.

Garlick died aged 84 in North Adelaide on 28 September 1902. He was survived by his second wife Mary Rebecca (1832?-1912), a widow whom he had married on 29 September 1877, and by a son and a daughter. Daniel is buried in the North Road, cemetery.

Sullivan, Christine, 'Garlick, Daniel’, Architecture Museum, University of South Australia, 2008, Architects of South Australia

Australian Dictionary of Biography
Chronicle Saturday 1 November 1924, page 51