|Elizabeth South Railway station, 1958|
The permanent building was erected three or four years later. In those early days of Elizabeth the roads were unmade and commuters to the City had to tramp through mud and slush to reach the station in the winter months. A common sight every day as the collection of Wellington boots and old shoes left in tidy rows under the platform by their owners who boarded the train in their good city shoes and collected the old ones for the muddy walk home on their return. By September 30th the following year, 1957, there were sufficient people living in Elizabeth North to justify the opening of a second railway station which was named Womma Station. In anticipation for the opening of the Town Centre shops later in 1960, the Elizabeth Railway Station was opened on June 27th and on the same day, Elizabeth’s fourth Station, Broadmeadows (named Elizabeth North at first) was also opened.