Agriculture expanded very rapidly in the decade or so that followed the beginnings of large-scale settlement. By 1856, 20,000 acres of land in the Munno Para Councils were planted with wheat. (Munno Para East 6000 of 40,000 acres under wheat. Munno Para West almost 15,000 of 25,000).
In contrast to Munno Para West, Munno Para East was a sparsely occupied district. It was, already by the beginning of the 1860s however, pasturing a large number of sheep and cattle (there were over 4000 sheep in 1861), an activity which was to continue to expand during the following decades.
Between 1871 and 1881 the number of sheep and lambs increased from about 6500 to over 20,000 while at the same time the amount of land devoted to wheat growing declined, form about 7000 acres to just over 2200 acres.