|Elizabeth Marching Girls|
The first marching teams were formed in Elizabeth in October 1958, when the Elizabeth sub-branch of the Returned Soldiers League sponsored the formation of two teams. From this beginning the RSL Elizabethan Marching Girls Club consisted of five teams, known as the ‘Raleigh’s’ (Seniors), ‘Cavaliers’ and Windsor’s (Junior) and ‘Brigadiers and ‘Grenadiers’ (Midgets).
The chairman of the RSL Elizabethans in 1962 was Mr A. Hemley.A team consists of an Instructor, Chaperone and up to 14 girls including reserves, but only 9 girls and a leader take part in the competition for displays. Team decisions are made only by the vote of all team members.
Teams from Elizabeth have travelled to Melbourne, Mt Gambier, Pt Pirie, Renmark and Barmera to compete and give displays. Team contests were held during the Elizabeth Birthday celebrations as part of the North Metropolitan Zone of the South Australian Marching Girls Association , held on Ridley Road, Reserve, Elizabeth.