The Elizabeth Civic Theatres were officially opened on 21st August, 1965 by the Governor of South Australia, Sir Eric Bastyan.They were designed by Geoffrey Shedley, chief Architect of the South Australian Housing Trust, and built by the Elizabeth City Council at a cost of approximately half a million dollars.
The final design resulted in two separate units, an intimate theatre seating 412 named The Shedley after its designer and a stadium type theatre named The Octagon with a seating capacity of 1422.The Octagon was designed to cater for any type of entertainment from stage shows, balls and cabarets to indoor sports, exhibitions, cinema events, boxing and promotional activities. Its popularity over the year has been marked by the addition of events such as musical concerts, eight-ball championships, darts championships, wrestling, Bingo and community activities such as large presentations, public meetings and baby shows to mention a few.
The Shedley had been home to several local groups such as the Elizabeth Repertory Company, the Northern Light Theatre Company, Mirrabooka and recently the S.A. Stage Company. It has also been the venue for productions by visiting groups and theatrical companies such as the Australian Dance Theatre, the Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust and the South Australian Theatre Company.
Memorable events include the appearance of Acker Bilk and Jacques Loussier during the Fifth Adelaide Festival of Arts at the Octagon on separate nights, and Ken Goodwin from the London Palladium at The Shedley.