Tuesday, May 22, 2012

How Elizabeth got its name

To accommodate the influx of new British migrants to South Australia after the second world war,  the Housing Trust of South Australia set about acquiring farm land, that would be used to built houses on.  For awhile the new development was referred to as the ‘New Town’.  There was much discussion over what to call the new town, local author, Max Fatchen in a poem wrote;
Nameless no longer, for fame will befall it,
The town has a title (but what will they call it?)
The Housing Trust was partial to the name Playford, after Premier  Sir Thomas  Playford, but he was not keen.  Sir Playford was asked once more, he again declined.  It was then left to Sir Playford choose the new towns name.
After some deliberation, he decided upon the name Elizabeth.   Adelaide was a Queen’s name, the airfield was Edinburgh and there was no other pace of that name.  Migrants coming from England would feel welcomed by a city with a familiar name.  On the 16th November 1955, Sir Thomas declared the new town was to be known as “Elizabeth”.
The Royal and English theme continued in street names such as “Prince Charles Walk”, Windsor Green”, Philip Highway.  Another connection with royalty is the use of the red, white and blue colours as adopted by the Centrals football team it as their club colours. 

Monday, May 14, 2012

How did Peachey Belt get its name?

Peachey Belt
The name Peachey Belt was in common usage as early as 1846.  It was spelt as Peachy or Peachey.  There are two conflicting explanations for the original of the name in current use.  One claims to be the name is derived from the native peach or quandong found on the plains.  The other attributes the name to Peter Peachey, as early settler and surveyor.
Research shows that the native peach was found there together with the Peppermint Gum, the dominant species of the belt in the earlier part f the 19th century.  It seems unlikely the area was named after Peter Peachey since no evidence can be found that links him to the district.  Some confusion may have been caused by the use of the name Peachey in the 1960’s for Peachey Road by the South Australian Housing Trust.  It is most likely this use of the name Peachey is derived from Arthur Peachey, youngest son of Peter Peachey.  Arthur was a registered surveyor with the lands department form 1871 and his name appears in the Lands Department records.
The Hundred of Munno Parra was proclaimed on 29th October 1846.  The boundaries of the hundreds were designated by natural features such as roads or rivers.  Peter Peacheys name does not appear on the early special surveys in the area. The Port Gawler Special Survey and most of the Little Para Special Survey was carried out before Peter Peachey arrived in South Australia in 1841.
During the early 1840’s as country surveys were lagging behind intended purchasers, a contingent of surveyors with the Royal Sappers and Miners was brought out from England to speed up the surveying process.  Peter Peachey was not registered as a surveyor worth the Lands Department, nor was he involved with the first section surveys in the Hundred of Munno Para, as they were all carried out by the Royal Sappers. By the time the first survey plans were drawn up in September 1849 for what was to become Penfield, he had died and his sons were only infants.
The word ‘the’ prefixes Peachey where it’s spelt with or without an e.  It was common practice to use the prefix the when applying a descriptive name to a geological feature but not when using a person’s name.
The Peppermint Gum was excellent for fencing and building material and so early settlers cut it all down and the forest had virtually disappeared by 1880’s.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Ghosts of Teacher's past

For History month, Playford Library will be presenting a talk about the teachers of the Uleybury school.  We are fortunate that the beautiful building has been preserved and is open to the public as a museum.  While the history of the building is well document, less known is the lives of the teachers who taught there and the students who learnt there.
 
The school room is only 9 metres by 4.8metres.  At the rear is the Teacher's residence, two bedrooms, kitchen, living room, washroom, laundry and toilet.

The school was conducted along the lines of a church school until 1874 when education became the responsibility of the state government.  The school was eventually renamed the One Tree Hill Primary School after residents in Unley complained that their mail was being misdirected to Uley.  As the school grew transportable classrooms and other structures were erected.  The school remained in use until 1971 being the oldest school building still in use at that time.

The first teacher, Mr Alex John Mattingly lived on site was responsible for 18 boys and 16 girls. 

The current occupiers of the school believe there is a ghost, and it is a teacher, but which one?