The school opened in 1874 and lessons were held in private homes. It closed in 1875 and reopened in 1877 and then closed again. In 1878 it became a public school. Previous to this the Council Chambers were used for school purposes. School formerly opened by the Minister of Education, the Hon Thomas King on 18th March 1880.A large cement water tank was filled by rain from the school room. The school room was heated by a fire. A corrugated iron lean to was added to the entrance side.
1915 A parcel of comforts were made by the students including 8 pillow cases, 16 milk covers, 2 scarfs and caps combined, 4 handkerchiefs, 7 face washers, parcel of old linen and old kid cloves.The children worked well in 1917 for the Patriotic Funds. War Service medals had been won to the value of £3.10 and £2 had been forwarded to the YMCA, Cheerups and League of Loyal Women.
1936 a Centenary picnic was held in the paddock of Mr C. T Bray near the Gawler River with the Angle Vale, Gawler River and Penfield schools. Each child was given oranges and sweets.The school finally closed on 31 December 1940.
The surrounding land became the RAAF Edinburgh base and was demolished in 1985.